Monday, November 19, 2007

The fight

I've been talking to my couzin lately and we had a long conversation about happiness in life. Both of us were depressed for so long that we dont even know what it means to be happy
All my life I thought happiness was fiction, this world is all about pain and suffering.
However, influenced by our religion, god has ordered us to worship him and not forget to take our share from life.

This world, as god created it, is beautiful. It is our duty to worship god and be happy.

So depression update: The reason I started taking medication to fight depression was because my life almost got to a screeching halt. It got so bad that I basically gave up on everything. Not only that, I just can't find a value in anything. Can't enjoy anything I do. Everywhere I go whatever I do even if good happens to me its like w/e. But when bad things happen the thoughts get amplified to an insane degree.

So I started taking the medication and getting better, but I wasn't motivated to fight depression still. Medication alone gives you a tool to fight it, but its not nearly enough as you have to change your thought pattern and lifestyle. I wasn't interested in actualy fighting depression to improve my quality of life. All I wanted is some energy to do what I have to do. There is a better way to go about it, the natural urge in humans to pursue happiness.

In order to pursue happiness, depression can't just be left alone, it has to be fought with all you got. It has to be fought with full force. It has to be combated actively, and it should be a priority in life to be happy. There is a better option. Depressed people's quality of life is almost only 10% of their whole lives. Which means effectively you only live 7 full years if you live till 70. You have the option to live happily. And its plain better. Although you don't care when your depressed, you don't care about being happy. Its your right though, and it is your duty to be happy. Don't let any authority figure tell you otherwise they use depression and lowering the morale as means of control.

I thought these lyrics are appropriate for the topic

You've Got Another Thing Comin' Judas Priest

One life I'm gonna live it up
I'm takin' flight said I'll never get enough.
Stand tall I'm young and kinda proud
I'm on top as long as the music's loud.

If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by
You're thinkin' like a fool 'cause it's a case of do or die.
Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had
If you think I'll let it go you're mad
You've got another think comin'.

That's right here's where the talkin' ends
Well listen this night there'll be some action spent.
Drive hard I'm callin' all the shots
I got an ace card comin' down on the rocks.
If you think I'll sit around while you chip away my brain
Listen I ain't foolin' and you'd better think again.
Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had
If you think I'll let it go you're mad
You've got another think comin'.

In this world we're livin' in we have our share of sorrow
Answer now is don't give in aim for a new tomorrow.

Oh so hot no time to take a rest yeah
Act tough ain't room for second best.
Real strong got me some security
Hey I'm a big smash I'm goin' for infinity yeah.

6 comments:

Nazgul said...

Maybe the reason you're depressed is because you're not satisfied with your current life..You need to know yourself more deeply..Why don't you take a break and travel somewhere nice (Europe)..being exposed to different cultures and being alone in a foreign city for awhile helps you figure out who you are and gives you a larger view on your life back home since you'd be observing it from afar also it might help you figure out how this depression began and what makes it worse.
Wishing you the best,mate..

Unknown said...

It is a known fact in leadership that when all else fails, leaders resort to fear. We can see this a lot in media etc etc and this is what the authority demands. However like you said, don't let any authority dictate your life.. you are God's creation, he is by your side and will shed the light and he will guide you. It never is easy, it never is all good and happy, it is a bumpy road, none the less, life is only but a moment.. I live for the people i care about, and myself, that one day I would reach my goals and leave this world a happy person, into a better afterlife.

eshda3wa said...

u realize what u have to do to overcome ur depression

it cant be easy
but im sure u can do it if u put ur mind to it

goodluck

Desert-Roses said...

I was discussing lately in my blog my own sort of depression and how I began to get over it. It's not easy...I was depressed since age 9 ...I didn't get over my depression except when I became 19, it affected my personality and attitude..that's why I pushed myself to defeat it..I still do asshole things sometimes..bs el7emdellah wayed better than b4 :)

I don't know if medication is the answer.

One friend of mine told me that..depression often attack artists and smart people, I noticed that ur an artist...

When I feel of symptoms of depression attacking me..I just seek something beautiful to look at or to enjoy..something I haven't noticed b4...last time ..o en 3ez za7mat el seer in the morning of Kuwait...my car had to stop under street bridge..it was lil bit quiet..and I began to listen the sound of the cars that is driving above...and I then began to compare it with the deep sound of seabed, sort of similar... :)...

I bet your smart enough find ur way :)

Kaos said...

nazgul: Depression does depend on pre-desposing factors. However insignificant anything would've caused it. I realize a lot and I did take a break when my life practically halted. *Don't fall in love everyone*
Thank you for your wishes mate :)

N: Exactly; Fear, Intimidation, and guilt. You are a human being and you should be proud of that fact. You only answer to god and no one else. You live for the people you care about, you live for yourself mostly though. Never neglect yourself.

eshda3wa: true, its not easy since I had it as long as I remember. The middle child always gets it from what I hear :)
But yea I am determined now to face depression and fight it head on.
Thank you

Desert roses: Well not to brag :) but I am both an artist and smart ;)
Thats an important point about changing your surroundings when in distress. I learned that from a reality therapy course I once took. But the main thing is when your trying to do something and you are overwhelmed by negativity. Change your environment, keep active, do something to help you think more clearly, then tackle the problem.
What works for me is going to the beach and just staring at it calms me down.
Am glad you defeated your depression. I might be able to make use of some of your methods

Anonymous said...

What I like is that you are actively trying to figure out what works for YOU, Kaos. Medication can help stave off the deepest creepy crawlies of depression, but we each have to figure out what it is that gets us up in the morning and makes life worth living.

And sometimes the struggle doesn't seem worthwhile. That's the depression talking.

Faith helps. Having a few special places you can go in your mind helps. The beach helps. Whatever works for you.